Amid IVE’s hot release of their new commercial song ‘I WANT’ for Pepsi, the track was compared by netizens with NewJeans’ Coca-Cola track “Zero.”
Here’s what people are saying.
K-netz Compare NewJeans’ ‘Zero’ & IVE’s ‘I WANT’: ‘They’re getting trolls’
On July 14, an anonymous user have opened a forum, discussing two of the hottest K-pop girl groups in the fourth-gen, namely NewJeans and IVE.
In the discussion, the original author pitted each of their ad songs against each other. This comparison consist of NewJeans’ earworm Coca-Cola track “Zero” and IVE’s newly released “I WANT” for Pepsi. The author titled the post “NewJeans’ Coca-Cola VS IVE’s Pepsi.”
NewJeans released “Zero” on April 3, while IVE dropped “I WANT” on July 13. With the common concept of these two tracks being ad songs, comparison was expected.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Why NewJeans’ ‘Zero’ the Most Controversial Coca-Cola Song Ever? Find Out Why Everyone’s Talking About It!
However, most internet users quickly deemed the post as nonsense, since both groups are A-tier K-pop girl groups, and comparison wasn’t necessary. Some suspected that the anonymous author is a fan of LE SSERAFIM.
Meanwhile, there are others who called out the author for the pointless post and claimed that the user wasn’t even a fan of either groups. Others expressed that it’s useless to compare since both tracks are just for marketing purposes.
Read their comments below:
- “Wow, so IVE are getting trolls even for a CM song.”
- “Right now, IVE hasn’t even come back and they’re getting hated on, nevertheless. This is proof that they’re an A-tier girl group.”
- “You b**ches who aren’t even fans of NewJeans are hating on IVE while using them.”
- “First of all, both are A-list doing way better than LE SSERAFIM who are in B-list.”
- “Who gives a sh**, they’re ad songs.”
Meanwhile, in a separate discussion, users delved right in on the two songs’ effectivity in marketing. Netizens claimed that when it comes to advertising, NewJeans’ “Zero” gets the upper hand due to its earworm chorus with the repetitive singing of the Coca-Cola brand name.
On the contrary, they stated the public prefers IVE’s “I WANT” more than “Zero,” since the track sounds like an ordinary summer song with less of the advertising aspect.
- “For a CF, ‘Zero’ does its purpose justice. The chorus can get annoyingly stuck inside your head no matter how much you hate it.”
- “When I see a Coca-Cola at the supermarket, I can’t help myself but hum or at least sing the chorus of ‘Zero’ in my mind. As someone in marketing, I’d want this kind of hype.”
- “‘Zero’ really pulled the job successfully as an ad song. Their producers knew which product they were selling, making it to a cute commercial jingle. I like IVE’s Pepsi song, but it doesn’t remind me of Pepsi. It feels like a regular track perfect for summer.”
- “The chorus of ‘Zero’ all the way, because that’s the brand included in the commercial. It’s made to advertise Coca-Cola. IVE’s Pepsi track is good, but it doesn’t sound like an ad song, so that’s probably people prefer it more.”
What are your thoughts on this? Tell us in the comments below!
Read KpopStarz for more K-pop news.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: IVE’s ‘I’VE SUMMER” Comeback Teaser Reminds People of THIS Disbanded Girl Group
KpopStarz owns this article
Written by Riely Miller